Thursday 3 January 2013

Were your parents drunk when they named you?

Have you read the recent news of the Icelandic teenager who is suing the government over the right to keep her birth name?
Read it here

A small part of me thinks that Iceland is actually on to something. I won't list any names here, but I have run in to some peculiar names...you know the ones where you have to think about how to even even spell it.  Common names are being spelled so phonetically odd, that you wonder what the parents were thinking.
Celebrities get a pass for this.   With the lifestyles some of them lead, the children will have other psychological worries more pressing than their name.  They  also won't be ridiculed.  If your mom is Gwenyth Paltrow and your dad is Coldplay frontman Chris Martin, who cares if your name is Apple.  You pretty much will have everyone wanting to hang around you.

I  like names that are non gender specific- Taylor, Jamie and Jessie are prime examples.  Recently two people that i know have named their own daughters Charlie (one went with the spelling Charley).

I really like the name that the Icelandic teenage girl is fighting to keep. I think it is a strong, classic name that can be used for both  male and female (i like it best for a female).  Remember the rich, spoiled and snooty girl from Facts Of Life?  More recently,  Blair Waldorf of the now ended series Gossip Girl (i have yet to watch an episode).


The name thing is something i have dealt with.  With Margarita as a name, i constantly heard "Were your parents drunk when they named you?".  Although a very unique name choice here, it is actually common in other parts of the world (Spanish speaking countries, Greece, Russia and Bulgaria) .  In Greece, the meaning of my name is Pearl.   In Russia, Bulgaria and Spain it has the meaning of the flower Daisy.  I have learned to love my name, and as an adult have been getting more compliments on the uniqueness of my name.  I have even met other Margarita's, so it does not feel as odd as it did when i was younger.


I do hope they win their case.  It is not an outlandish name for a girl, and it is Icelandic.  Afterall, they did allow Elvis on the list due to the popularity from the King of Pop.  Perhaps they can add Blaer to the allowed list of female names.






No comments:

Post a Comment