Wednesday 16 January 2013

Reader's Digest still lives on...


When I was young and spent time at my grandmothers house, I would look for anything to read. She had a subscription to Readers Digest and kept all of them piled up in her office. I loved reading all of the stories. I found them fascinating for some reason. It is the best compilation of adventure/drama stories for a young child. I still remember a story I read about a boy getting struck by lightning. Had me scared for a while about having the same thing happen to me.

This week I was reminded of how much I used to love reading Reader's Digest. Not only did I see some Readers Digest magazines lying around at my Uncles house this week when we visited, but I also saw some at my in laws house too. It seems like everyone in that age demographic had a subscription to Reader's Digest.

I took two copies to bring home to see if I could still be fascinated by their stories. While I don't think I will get a subscription ( I actually went online to see if this magazine was still in production, and yes Reader's Digest is still going strong), I will still steal some moments to enjoy a good fast read from older editions I can borrow.

They even have a fun vocabulary quiz called "Word Power" that I loved to take. I tried again yesterday and scored a 17 out of 20. A good prep for anyone taking the SAT''s, I think.

Good ole Canadian subscription. I can see why so many subscribed to it. Little hand sized magazine, packed with a lot of goodness.



No comments:

Post a Comment