Saturday 23 February 2013

Colours and Prints



2013 spring collections are coming out soon.  I am getting a head start and starting to collect some pants so i can be ready for the nice weather when it arrives.  To be honest though, while most people are dreaming of the warm weather, i am hoping we still have a few weeks of skiing left.  We go every weekend, and it is a nice family outing.  I actually love being outdoor in the winter.

I am in a bit of a fashion rut.   Only recently have i started to like going through my closet. I used to let my hubby pick up clothes for me for about the first 2-3 years after having my daughter.  I hated shopping and i hated to spend money on clothes because i was not comfortable with my body. I bought cheap pieces (i shudder to think of some of the things i wore...and on multiple occasions) that were supposed to be transitional pieces (post pregnancy body).  These transitional pieces became staples in my wardrobe over a period of three years.  I had this one floral top from Old Navy that i wore quite often.  It was only until i saw another older lady pairing it with super faded flooded jeans that i really started to wake up.  This year i have started a nice little fall/winter collection, and now i want to make sure i have a decent spring/summer wardrobe. 

My spring/summer wardrobe needs a lot of work though.  I have learned my lesson about waiting to buy pieces.   I used to only buy clothing when i needed something, rather than buying something i loved and knowing it will get used soon.  This usually meant that i would be scrambling to find an outfit when i needed it, and it becomes an impulse buy and usually not what really looks good on me (just what i can find fast).

Last weekend i went to the mall with a gift certificate and decided to look for items that i can wear for Spring.  Club Monaco was having their Presidents Day sale, with an additional 30% of sale items.  I decided to buy check out some of their sales items.  It is a hit and miss, but i did find a cute dress (can be worn with tights as a tunique, because of the shorter length it can be tucked in as a nice blouse, or a short dress for a night out with hubby). I could not pass up on $59. 

I have a super fashionable sister in law (not just fashionable, but she knows fashion...big difference!) She knows the trends, but her style is all her own.  She is big on mixing prints, colours and texture in an outfit.   Their is an art to it, and she has the fashion sense to always make it work.  

This year, i am trying to add some variety in terms of colours and prints.  When you are on a budget, you tend to stick to solids and classic colours that go with everything.  This summer, i am going to mix it up.  I find Zara is the best place to do this.  They have great printed pants, and i like the fit of their pants as well.  The Zara closest to me does not always have their best selection, but usually the great pieces go fast.  If you like something, best option is to get it right away.  They do have awesome sales though, so sometimes you get lucky and what you have been eyeing goes on sale.

I ended up finding a pair of black and white heavily printed pants that i love. It was my introduction to printed pants.  Only $25 too.
Japanese garden print.  Looks busy, but does not look bad dressed up with heels.


I decided now that i have one black/white pair, i needed to find something bold.  Something i can pair with one of my solid blouses, but will give it a little oomph.  So i goggled Zara printed pants.  I found a pair that really struck me.  Not even close to my style (busy and bright are not clothes i usually gravitate towards) but they appealed to me, and i thought i could make them work.  Then i find out they are discontinued and were highly popular last year( if you do a google images search on Zara Navajo pants you will see tons of pictures/blog posts).  That actually discouraged me from trying to find them, but i loved the print so much that i thought i would disregard their popularity last year.  With the new SS collection coming up, they will be old news for everyone else.
So, i ended up buying them (thanks Aimee).  The seller only ships to the US, so it will be a few weeks before i get them.  I will blog about them when they arrive.


Here are a few other items i am loving from Zara in particular- all under $100 from Ebay sellers.  I am saving up for a few pieces.

Top Shop pants- $79.99


Zara heels- love the double buckle- great for narrow feet so you get a tighter fit.  $89


Love how they look from the front.  They remind me of a brand name pair i saw in the Eye Candy section of my sister in laws website.



Zara Wedge sneaker-$115


I saw a few other printed pants that i love and will look for in store.  I am loving the Navajo and Aztec prints and saw this leather jacket from Zara on Ebay.  This one is $200 though.



If you are looking for fashion inspiration you must check out this blog
www.shegotstyle.com  (Eye candy and daily posts are worth checking out).




2 comments:

  1. So do I. I love the length of them too. Perfect for heels or wedges, but would also look nice with flats. I know you like your TB shoes. I can picture these pants with a nice pair for a casual Sunday outing.

    ReplyDelete